Research and education in the Research Field MATTER are strongly based on national and international scientific networks, in particular on
- dedicated interdisciplinary user operation of the research infrastructure (LK II) based on peer review and project funding,
- interdisciplinary cooperation within the new Helmholtz Cross-Programme Activities and Initiatives (see here),
- Helmholtz Alliances (Physics at the Terascale, Astroparticle Physics, Cosmic Matter in the Laboratory),
- continued integration of the Helmholtz Institutes Jena and Mainz into the mission of the Research Field,
- regional cooperation with university partners, and
- strategic cooperation within the Röntgen-Angstrom Cluster (German-Swedish Cooperation in Materials Science and Structural Biology) and Ioffe-Röntgen-Institute (German-Russian Cooperation in Bio-Nano-Materials and Key Technologies).